I made this salad recently for a nutrition and food demonstration at a local chamber event. It is quick and easy! This recipe is a great way to try kale in a salad if you are not a big fan of kale.
This recipe calls for massaged kale. Many of my clients find this amusing but massaging kale makes the leaves softer and less bitter.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Mix together sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and olive oil
3. Season mixture with salt and pepper
4. Pour ingredients onto a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes
5. Chop kale into ½ inch pieces
6. Put kale into a bowl and season with salt
7. Massage kale until it turns a bright green color and you can feel that the kale leaves have softened. Keep massaging the kale until it is a texture that you enjoy. Taste as you go!
8. Add the roasted vegetables to the salad. They can be hot or cooled.
9. Add pepper, balsamic vinegar, and a small amount of olive oil to taste
Additional Tip: Leftovers are great the next morning sautéed in a pan until leaves are wilted. Add a few scrambled eggs for a high protein breakfast!